Barkingside (ESS) town
Today Barkingside is a district of North East London in the London Borough of Redbridge (Essex).
Barkingside is chiefly known for the children's charity Barnardo's, which was founded there in 1866, and still has its headquarters there. Some of the oldest buildings in Barkingside include the Barnardo's chapel, the underground station, which was originally an Edwardian railway station, and Holy Trinity Church, which dates from 1840. Barkingside is an ethnically and religiously diverse district notable for an unusually high concentration of London's Jewish population.
Barkingside was historically part of Essex until the creation of the London Borough of Redbridge in 1965. Fullwell Cross takes its name from a medieval preaching cross that once stood there. Long before there was a church, monks from Barking Abbey would go there to conduct outdoor services for the farmers of Barkingside.